Re: "Snippet Groups"

etc.

Even better, if my sniptits take parameters, usually the "lock down and configuration" difference are only 644 vs 640 perms or what my password complexity requirments are for pam login or what the defualt file upload size for apache should be, etc. These "actions" aren't different - just what we put for the params of the action.

Minor correction --- Snippets can already take parameters. The built in cobbler variables are already passed to them. In addition, others can also be passed along IIRC -- the cheetah syntax for this is "#set global foo" in the master template (see http://cheetahtemplate.org/) and then variables set there can be passed to templates.

Although it looks like from the other thread that this is going the directory way, again, is this a mistake given that I don't really want do some things until the end and some right at the beginning or I really do want x to follow y to follow z. If we do it all by directory I would have to name all my snipits 1_... 2_... which would really make things not so elegant.

I'm not sure that directory system was proposed. What /was/ proposed was a way to be able to indicate templates for systems in a way that they could be overriden.

So, if you had a snippet named "driveconfig", it would first look for:
/var/lib/cobbler/snippets/driveconfig/system/$system_name if it exists

And would use that snippet if it existed, if not, failing back to:
/var/lib/cobbler/snippets/driveconfig/profile/$profile_name if it exists

And using it unless it didn't exist and failing back to:
/var/lib/cobbler/snippets/driveconfig

This would allow using the same "webserver" template for 500 servers, and still allowing for the 1 server that for some reason required a special exemption to get the configuration it needed, without having to create a new profile for "webserver-this-one-is-special".

snipit_groups/group1

set_bootloader_password
set_password_retries
set_passwd_min_uppper
set_passwd_min_lower
set_motd
setup_aide
setup_logrotate

This way I can call either a set of actions or a single one in the cobbler kickstart template.

==== Kickstart Template ====

SNIPIT::_GROUP_
SNIPIT::small_thing
SNIPIT::smaller_thing

Another thing I find useful in this type of setup is that I can also make a mapping file :

REG1:set_passwd_retries,set_passwd_min_upper,set_passwd_min_lower
REG2:setup_aide
REG3:set_motd

This is getting into config management territory. Have you looked at running a config management tool locally in post to execute some sort of policy? Or are there reasons for not doing this? I know there are ways to execute puppet without requiring a server, and it is probably easier to express those sort of requirements there as opposed to in Anaconda scripts with bash/sed/awk.
--Michael