Re: "Snippet Groups"

On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:05 AM, Aaron Lippold wrote:

<... snip ...>

Snipts and Groups

An organization as sets of requirements - usually security or enterprise wide setting, files, etc. - that it uses to standardize the configuration management of its systems. These sets are usually organized by whatever organizational system they come up with but for the most part they are standard actions from the good old community best practices. ( set bootloader passwords, use sudo, install logging and setup, fixes known configuration issues with sendmail, copy over the standard MOTD, Company Banner etc. )

These things really sound like you would want a configuration management tool (puppet, cfengine, etc.) to set those things after the kickstart is complete.

What happens if you change the wording in your standard MOTD? Do your re-kickstart and install all of your systems so they get the new MOTD?

<... snip ...>

Although it looks like from the other thread that this is going the directory way, again, is this a mistake given that I don't really want do some things until the end and some right at the beginning or I really do want x to follow y to follow z. If we do it all by directory I would have to name all my snipits 1_... 2_... which would really make things not so elegant.

snipit_groups/group1

set_bootloader_password
set_password_retries
set_passwd_min_uppper
set_passwd_min_lower
set_motd
setup_aide
setup_logrotate

This way I can call either a set of actions or a single one in the cobbler kickstart template.

==== Kickstart Template ====

SNIPIT::_GROUP_
SNIPIT::small_thing
SNIPIT::smaller_thing

I'm confused as to why you are assuming that files in a directory would have to be in alphabetical order.

With the changes that have been proposed, using this example below, lets say "group1" is the name of a Cobbler profile that you are using. In your common /etc/cobbler/common.ks, you'd have something like:

%post
SNIPPET::post

If you have the file: /var/lib/cobbler/snippets/group1/post, it could contain:

SNIPPET::set_bootloader_password
SNIPPET::set_password_retries
SNIPPET::set_passwd_min_uppper
SNIPPET::set_passwd_min_lower
SNIPPET::set_motd
SNIPPET::setup_aide
SNIPPET::setup_logrotate

... and each of those separate snippet files would be included in the rendered kickstart.

I know I threw a lot out there but I think there are a few pages we could take from the Bastille and SST books that would really take cobbler to the next level. Most of the changes would be business, organization and execution process which I think could really expand the flexibility of the system.

Let me know what you all think or just slap me around a bit ...

No desire to "slap you around" :-) but I think your arguments against the proposed hierarchy are orthogonal to your proposals; neither really impacts the other. And I'm not sure (again, just my opinion) that a build system is the best place to do the configuration management. After all, configurations do change, and I prefer not to rebuild my systems every time I need to add a user account or update the MOTD.

	-s-