Re: virt-bridge option not working in koan 0.8.0?

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

On Mar 27, 2008, at 1:13 PM, Michael DeHaan wrote:
Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

Hmm, ok, thanks ... that makes sense, but the wiki page clearly shows it being used as an option to "koan" ...

To force a specific choice, or to use a bridge that does not follow the pethX/ethX convention, you can use --virt-bridge and specify the name of any bridge you like. Note that this must be a /real/ bridge, and not a physical interface.

koan --server=bootserver.example.org --profile=RHEL5-i386 --virt --virt-bridge=peth0

Yes, this was trimmed in a previous release. It's something we can consider adding back if it's useful, though in general I want to limit the amount of options we provide to koan to keep the focus around centralized management and repeatable profiles.

No, that makes sense. For me, (and understand, I'm a total beginner at the koan and virtualization stuff here), the biggest problem is keeping the documentation up-to-date and in sync with the current version of the tools. I'd love to contribute to the wiki, once I've got a better understanding of all of this, but I think in general, while the tools are of excellent quality, and the support provided on this and other lists is superb, it would be good to have some more fundamental documentation or "how-tos", targeted perhaps at people familiar with RHEL and general Linux administration, but who aren't that in touch with the deployment of virtual machines. This might be my shortcoming though, and perhaps the Cobbler/Koan environment isn't the proper place to host that type of doc.

Glad you mentioned it...

After 1.0 is released, I am intending to write a very long/detailed PDF/manual on datacenter deployment using Cobbler that will cover all of this. PXE, Virt, various strategies rolling up all of the existing documentation, etc. I intend for it to be CC-licensed and aimed right at that kind of thing.

That will likely be sometime toward the middle of this year.

Ah, well, I like options where I can get them, but only options that help me, not those that I can shoot myself with. :-)

Good deal :)

Thanks,
-s-