Re: Working on VMware support for cobbler/koan..

What do you think the possibility of of being able to have one kickstart file feed vmware and xen images? It would be great to be able to make the choice of vmwware/xen at koan time and not cobbler time.

-- bk

Michael DeHaan wrote:
I'm working on adding VMware support for koan. Obviously it's not Free as in Speech, but it's widely deployed, and I think that would be a nice addition to the idea for further abstracting out provisioning infrastructure. Most likely this will work by allowing cobbler to keep track of CD ISO's in the "distro" objects.

So we'll be able to do things like:
   cobbler distro edit --name=RHEL5 --rescuecd=/path/*.iso
   cobbler profile edit --name=RHEL5-examplefoo --virt-type=vmware
   # on the remote system
   koan --server=cobbler.example.com --virt --profile=examplefoo

Once we do this (and are able to represent ISO file tracking), we can also support Xen Fullvirt without the need for PXE infrastructure (which means potentially being able to install non-Linux distros also as well as support appliance-like stuff, though we may need a few more options there as that rolls on).

Comments/ideas welcome...

In other news, vmware server is really annoying to setup compared to Xen/KVM :)

--Michael