Re: Cobbler-PXE-Kickstart

Steve Pearson wrote:

Hi,

I have some very basic questions on this relationship. I have read through the Cobbler man page and some of the other available information. I plan to setup a RHEL5 Cobbler server to do a PXE based network installation of several servers. Here are my questions:

1) What network protocol is used to do the actual network OS installation? This detail seems to be missing from the docs but from what I have read it appears to be http…I am wanting to know how the PXE client accesses the files on the cobbler server.

First there's DHCP
PXE uses TFTP
Kickstarts are served over http:// if using Cobbler templating, but also can be ftp:// or nfs:// The install by default, if using Cobbler import is http://, which most people use, but can also be ftp:// or nfs://

2) I am going to Import a loop mounted DVD iso for my RHEL5 distro (so I do not have to expand the install tree). I plan to use Kickstart Configurator to generate unique kickstarts…I may use ks templating later. In the ks file, what do I put for “Installation Method” (CD, NFS, HTTP, Hard-drive)? If I choose HTTP, what path do I use for the “HTTP Directory”? It is supposed to be the location of the “Server” directory from the distro but since I used iso’s I do not have one. Will Cobbler explode the iso and create an Install Tree in /var/www/cobbler? If so I can specify that dir…

The easiest way to start out is to just import the mounted DVD

cobbler import --name=foo --mirror=/mnt/dvdlocation

That will create cobbler distros and profiles, as well as assign a base kickstart (which lives in /etc/cobbler)

If you want to use templating you can, or you can use an existing kickstart you have available in your web space

cobbler profile edit --name=foo --kickstart=http://bootserver.example.org/foo.ks

Sorry, I know I could do some experimenting but do not have the setup for this yet and am in planning stage. Understanding some of these basics will help me out greatly.

No problem...

You may also be interested in #cobbler on irc.freenode.net which is also good for quick questions like this.

Thanks!

*Steve Pearson*

System Engineering

Prodea Systems

214.278.1805
www.prodeasystems.com <http://www.prodeasystems.com>

This message is confidential to Prodea Systems, Inc unless otherwise indicated or apparent from its nature. This message is directed to the intended recipient only, who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its contents. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient:(a)any dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited; and(b)immediately notify the sender by return message and destroy any copies of this message in any form(electronic, paper or otherwise) that you have.The delivery of this message and its information is neither intended to be nor constitutes a disclosure or waiver of any trade secrets, intellectual property, attorney work product, or attorney-client communications. The authority of the individual sending this message to legally bind Prodea Systems is neither apparent nor implied,and must be independently verified.