Re: Creating a yum repo (via cobbler) from "scratch"?

Sandor,

* Set "yum_post_install_mirror" to "1" in /var/lib/cobbler/settings.

* Create a directory somewhere for your repository.  Create a base directory:

    mkdir -p /my/repo/base

* Copy any and all custom or third-party RPMs to the base directory.

* Create the metadata for the repository ("yum install createrepo" if you don't have the utility).  This may not be necessary, but this will ensure that the metadata is available:

    createrepo /my/repo # note that the target is not the base directory

* Add the repo to cobbler.

    cobbler repo add --mirror=/my/repo --name=name_of_your_repo

*  Sync repositories:

    cobbler reposync

* Add repos to your cobbler profiles/distros.

    cobbler distro edit --name=my_distro --repos='name_of_your_repo ...'
    cobbler profile edit --name=my_profile --repos='name_of_your_repo...'

# Modify only the item that most closely meets your scope; e.g. if all profiles under "my_distro" should include 'name_of_your_repo', you can ignore the '--repos' field whenever creating profiles that exist under "my_distro".

* You are done.  Just cobbler sync and your systems' kickstart files will include YUM repo stanzas provided by Cheetah template expansions.

----

Note that adding RPMS to existing repositories may require re-running 'createrepo /my/repo' and 'cobbler reposync' to be seen on your deployed systems.  You will also need to execute 'yum clean all' (or some variant of 'yum clean') on your client to force it to redownload the repository metadata (which describe the new RPM set).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Adam.

-A.

Sandor W. Sklar wrote:

I apologize in advance if my questions here are "dumb", but I'm kind of new to this, and am trying to wrap my head around a lot of information.

I've successfully  set up a basic cobbler (0.6.5) on an RHEL 5 server, have imported a distro from the rhel-5.1-server-x86_64-dvd iso, and have PXE booted and built a basic system from this cobbler server.  That I was able to do all of that in a day of work was amazing, and a testament to the quality of all of the software involved.

My question is this: I'd like to set up a yum repository, available from the cobbler server, containing a few RPMs that aren't available from another repository (meaning, I'm not "mirroring" another repository.)  One example would be that I want to have my own repository of the IBM TSM client RPMs, which one only gets by FTPing them from IBM's site:

$ ls -1 *.rpm
TIVsm-API64.i386.rpm
TIVsm-API.i386.rpm
TIVsm-BA.i386.rpm
TIVsm-HSM.i386.rpm

I'd like to have it so I could simply run "yum install tsm-client" on a system built from my cobbler server, and have the above RPMs and their dependencies (all included in rhel5 core) installed.  This question might be best for a yum-specific list, but since cobbler has repository mirroring integrated, I'd give it a shot here.  Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    -s-