EPEL/Scientific Linux [WAS: "Crash" of cobbler on x86_64 machine]

Vladimir Fekete wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:37:52AM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:
which is true, because after last upgrade python was in version 2.3.4 but
this is problem of ScientificLinux.
You could of course just do rpmbuild --rebuild on the cobbler src RPM.

Cobbler does not require that particular Python ABI.

I don't want to spend
95% of my life with searching for correct dependency version and correct
dependency version for previous dependency, e.t.c....

You seem to be saying that the packages in the EPEL 4/5 tree do not work for Scientific Linux?

I'm finding this a bit strange, as EPEL is intended to work for that distro and this is the first I've heard of
that.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/About#head-7f5c56add93b7a549e24150cc4e0183aefc9120b

Next problem is upgrade of the system (=upgrade of dependencies => new build
which does not have to work, because of new features which may need new
stuff you don't know about, so you spend 6 nights just to check what you
really need). Also I'd like to add, that it should be responsibility of
maintainer to keep things running for given platform.

If your SL can't use the EPEL packages, it would be best to bring it up with those lists.

Besides, if the highest version of application in specific distribution
is so old that it cannot work with rest of the distro then it's time to think
about another distribution. (As I said in previous mail, problem is already solved:
Debian+tftp server+pxe... without problem)

Cobbler is not just TFTP. If all you need is a simple /tftpboot tree, of course, you can use whatever you like.
Of course your current distro already contains a tftp server as well :)