Re: cobbler: right place for custom kickstarts

Am 18.12.2007 um 23:23 schrieb Michael DeHaan:

Rainer Duffner wrote:

So, you have to distill out what is common in your kickstart-files and turn that into one or more kickstart-templates, create different profiles for these kickstart-templates (you have to spell-out the path on the server to in the input-field, there's no nifty "select file" dialogue).

Right, because you're not uploading a local file, you're picking one on the server that already exists. I expect most people to use the command line, but as interest in the Web UI grows, information like this about usability perceptions /is/ helpful.

I use the web UI, because it's easier to add all the ksmeta-stuff...
If I had to provision 100 systems at once, I'd write a script that produces the cobbler commands though.

If uploading kickstart files proves useful enough, that's something we can think about adding.

Not really. Once you know what you have to do it's no problem.
Maybe adding a "Note: this is a path to a file already on the server!" next to it will make it a no-brainer...

My suggestion is to do all pre-production testing in either VMware Workstation (or maybe the new Server 2.0 Beta, because of RHEL5- support), for the simple fact that you will reboot often - and that takes minutes on my blades, compared to 1 second with VMware...
I probably saved hours this way.

Or Xen.... or KVM .... both of which are free, open-source, and supported in koan :)

Sorry, I didn't want to discriminate.
I just can't get my head around Xen ;-)
I will try it one day....

cheers,