Re: Installing cobbler on a debian system

Javier Palacios wrote:
Not really (it's been used to deploy Debian systems though, see "cobbler
distro add --breed=debian"), but if you run into anything, we can
probably work through them.

Most of our machines are debian/ubuntu, so that was the second step.
The manpage states "limited experimental support" for debian/suse but
for your comments I understand that it works right. The "distro add"
arguments resembles those for a syslinux/pxeboot. Is it posible also
to import debian packages, manage debian repos and so on?

No support for apt repos, though patches to add them can be applied.

I believe "make install" from a source checkout is largely functional on
Debian, though there are some places where the code relies on
/sbin/service, createrepo,
and some other tools.

Yes, `make install` did work with just a couple of easy requirements.
But locates some files (apache config for example) in places where
debian does not look for them. It also requires rhpl (easy but not
available as official debian package), and other things to come ....

rhpl is there to support eventual translation, should we ever want to translate strings.
Although I'll probably setup a fedora box, I'll keep trying to install
& run cobbler from a debian system. If you think it might be valuable,
I'll keep you/the list informed about the (expected) progress.

Sounds good.

Javi

(It would be much happier on a F8 machine.)

--Michael