Re: Traceback on system add and distro import

Eric Raymond wrote:
Hello All,

I am not sure what exactly happened, but it definitely seems like threading issue went wrong. I was importing a distro and during that time, I also added a system, but the newly added system was not using the currently importing distro or profile. The import bombed out with memory corruption error. Then I tried to recover but found that I kept getting traceback errors whenever i ran any cobbler command. I have rebooted, and still cobbler is not able to run now. Before I blow away my installation and try again any suggestions?

Hmmm .... Cobbler isn't threaded. Were you using the WebUI and command line at the same time? Ordinarily that should be ok, though if one were to crash (still not sure why it actually crashed?) while it had not yet finished writing the configuration file, that would be a problem. Do you have a copy of the error (traceback) you could post?

Part of the goodness about the new serializer (which very well could become the default) is it should solve the problem of the any sort of error occuring while cobbler is writing the configuration file. With the yaml format, cobbler has to rewrite it's entire configuration file when you save a new object, so if it runs out of disk space. The new serializer is able to insert only the changes. Yes, I would delete your existing /var/lib/cobbler/(distros|profiles|systems|repos) files and let cobbler regenerate them. If you want to back up this directory (/var/lib/cobbler) periodically, it would probably be a good idea.

Here is the full traceback:

[root@kickstart ~]# cobbler sync
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/cobbler.py", line 713, in main
    BootCLI( sys.argv).run()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/cobbler.py", line 42, in __init__
    self.api = api.BootAPI()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/api.py", line 43, in __init__
    self.deserialize()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/api.py", line 227, in deserialize
    return self._config.deserialize()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/config.py", line 170, in deserialize
    if not serializer.deserialize(x,topological=True):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/serializer.py", line 45, in deserialize
    return storage_module.deserialize(obj,topological)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/modules/serializer_yaml.py", line 82, in deserialize
    datastruct = yaml.load(data).next()  # first record
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/yaml/load.py", line 83, in next
    self.nestedDocs.nestToNextLine()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/yaml/stream.py", line 131, in nestToNextLine
    indentation = indentLevel(line)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cobbler/yaml/stream.py", line 6, in indentLevel
    while n < len(line) and line[n] == ' ':
TypeError: len() of unsized object

Thanks,

Eric