Re: [Re: Cobbler query (and now Xen too)]

Al Tobey wrote:
On 10/4/07, Chris Sarginson <chris.sarginson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:
Currently yes, as I understand it the virtinst library will have PXE
support in a release soon (at least in F7/F8?), and at that point we can
do fullvirt.   Right now, since fullvirt installs require a disk image
for provisioning (they can't just be fed a kernel+initrd), we can only
do paravirt Xen.   However, KVM does allow this currently, so there
we are doing hardware.     We should have something for Xen soon.
OK, in that case I'll just run paravirtualised machines in the mean
time.  I'm sure the performance is supposed to be very similar between
paravirt + hardware virt - can anyone confirm?

Paravirtualization should be higher performance than full
virtualization.   Hardware virtualization is faster than software CPU
emulation, which is probably what you're thinking of.

-Al Tobey

Thanks Al

Chris
--
Kind regards

Chris Sarginson
Technical Support
UKFast.Net Ltd

(t) 0870 111 8866
(f) 0870 458 4545

"The UK's Best Hosting Provider" ISPA Awards 2007, 2006 and 2005

Dedicated Servers - Managed Hosting - Domain Names- http://www.ukfast.net

UKFast.Net Ltd, City Tower, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester, M1 4BT
Registered in England. Number 384 5616