Re: virtmanager error when trying to connect on Ubuntu

Hugh Brock wrote:
Cam Macdonell wrote:
Hugh Brock wrote:
Cameron Macdonell wrote:
On 17-Sep-07, at 12:43 PM, Hugh Brock wrote:
Well, it depends on how you have defined any VMs you are running. If you have defined KVM vms via libvirt, then virt-manager will get the relevant information for them from libvirt and display them in the UI. If you haven't defined any domains at all, you can create them by clicking the "new" button next to the KVM connection in virt-manager.

If you've created a KVM guest outside of libvirt, you'll need to redefine it using libvirt via "virsh define", or manually place a complete XML domain definition in the correct directory under /etc/libvirt -- otherwise libvirt has no way of knowing anything about the guest and can't manage it for you.

Hope this helps,
--Hugh

Thanks Hugh, your help has been invaluable.

I can start the VM, but I can't specify a VNC option (SDL works, though). I keep getting "Could not parse VNC address". I've read some pages that point to a dependency on gtkvnc error, but I wouldn't expect a dependency to manifest itself as an error like this (but I could be wrong). I'm using Ubuntu which does not package virt-manager, so I've had to build mostly from scratch, is there a config option I'm missing?

Thanks again,
Cam

Ahh yeah sorry this is a lot more difficult without packaging.

Yes, Fedora seems to be popular for most KVM users :-)

I believe you are now running afoul of our newly introduced dependency on gtk-vnc, which is a gtk widget that renders a vnc connection. You can download it from http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net.

I'll give it a shot.

Where is the error showing up exactly? Even without the gtk-vnc widget, you should be able to make a normal vnc connection to your guest using vncviewer (for example).

--Hugh

The VM won't start at all.  Nothing seems to point to gtk-vnc.

The libvirtd output is:
libvir: QEMU error : QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

Virt-manager pops up a console with this error:

virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC addresssudo echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
sudo /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.21.150 -j MASQUERADE

the "Details" window within the popup provides this:

Unable to start virtual machine '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/console.py", line 402, in control_vm_run
    self.vm.startup()
File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 377, in startup
    self.vm.create()
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 228, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: virDomainCreate() failed QEMU quit during console startup
Could not parse VNC address

My graphics line in my xml is:

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900'/>

I've also tried values 1 and -1 for port.

Thanks again,
Cam