Re: Alternative storage backends for Cobbler / other features

Michael DeHaan wrote:
So there's been a lot of interest around having Cobbler read LDAP recently, and possibly I'm guessing it would be useful to have it /write/ to LDAP. I know several
folks already have their own scripts to interface between the two.

I'm thinking about abstracting the serializer code to allow for configs in arbitrary formats....

It's done (and available for preview now in git):

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/cobbler/wiki/AlternativeSerializers

There's a example idea on the Wiki page above about how you could still use Cobbler to store to disk, but get /some/ information from LDAP ... I'll leave it up to users
to find creative ways to use this.

I ended up /not/ writing the SQL portions (yet) as that would be a lot to maintain and it seems things like LDAP would be more useful. If extremely large numbers of profiles/nodes run us into performance issues (so far they haven't) there are probably better ways to speed up things than that initially.

--Michael