Re: Service discovery for cobbler and koan with Avahi

Peter Wright wrote:
David Lutterkort wrote:

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 13:53 -0400, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> How does this work?
>
> Cobblerd will detect the presence of avahi-tools when it starts up,
> and will publish the service.
>
>     With koan, we specify --server=DISCOVER to tell koan it needs to
> probe for a cobbler server.
>
> For instance, the following command works regardless of where you are:
>   >     koan --server=DISCOVER --list-profiles

Cool .. how about the following behavior: when koan is started without
--server, it first tries to look up a host named 'cobbler' and uses that
as the cobblerd; if no such host exists, try to discover using avahi; if
that fails tell the user they are dumb and need to give na explicit
server with --server ?

please do not put any hard coded hostnames in the koan code base. two immediate problems crop to mind:

1) a host named cobbler already exists and does not run cobblerd
2) the system becomes coupled to a working DNS system

-p

Peter,

I'm not so sure I agree a few defaults is a bad thing, since it's pretty easy to test for cobblerd's presence (xmlrpc responding to certain method on certain port) and we wouldn't have to engage this check unless --server was omitted. David's suggestion actually works pretty well to help out those running EL4 boot servers (where there is no Avahi) -- which is probably the most likely platform for a boot server at this point. Rest assured I have ruled out "nmap" as a discovery method :) And obviously if we specify --server (as was mandatory before) we can skip all of those checks (so you don't need DNS in that case).
--Michael