Re: Service discovery for cobbler and koan with Avahi

Michael DeHaan wrote:
I've just implemented some changes in cobbler (cobblerd) and koan that allow for automatic remote service discovery using Avahi. This allows for building of tools that rely on koan to be written in a way that doesn't need to be aware of where the cobbler server is,
which is particularly useful in multi-site operations.

The ultimate usage of this is the koan live CD or USB disk. Now, with auto-discovery enabled, we can build a truly universal installer image. One image can install RHEL-4, F-7, whichever -- regardless of your location. The live installer CD will boot in any (supported) bare metal machine, check the machine's MAC address, find the cobbler server automatically, and install whatever profile is mapped to the MAC address inside of cobbler. None of this requires a PXE setup, either -- so it's easy to set up "bonus" install servers even if your organization
already has a PXE infrastructure.

To use this, install cobbler and koan from source, and also install the avahi-tools package on both ends. That's all you need to do.
This will be included in the 0.6.1 release, when that happens.

How does this work?

Cobblerd will detect the presence of avahi-tools when it starts up, and will publish the service.

With koan, we specify --server=DISCOVER to tell koan it needs to probe for a cobbler server.

For instance, the following command works regardless of where you are:
     koan --server=DISCOVER --list-profiles

--Michael

As someone on IRC (#cobbler on freenode.net) asked, avahi-tools is currently available in Fedora and RHEL5.
It may be installable on RHEL4.

Either way, the tools will continue to work without it... I detect the presense/absense of the capability at run time ... they just won't be able to autodiscover/publish if that ability is not there.