Re: cobbler system add

Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Peter Wright suggested that it looks like my vmlinuz/initrd.img
> don't support my virtual nic.  He's probably right,  I've got to
> figure out how to build the right vmlinz/initrd.img before I try
> again and we see if there's a third problem lurking behind these
> two.

cobbler import will pick the kernel/initrd from the "os/images/pxe"
directory for
TFTP installs.   If you used "cobbler import" and your distro/profile
didn't contain
the word "Xen" in it, that's the one you are using.   The Xen pair
definitely
probably won't work.    If those don't work, the NIC is probably the
issue -- though
I would kind of expect them to be simulating something relatively
standard.    Could be wrong :)

I memory serves me correctly VMWare emulates either an NE100 NIC or a generic AMD NIC (can't remember the divers specifically off the top of my head though). you do not need the vm-tools package though to get the NIC working though - i believe the tools package addresses some performance problems with the virtual NIC, but i do not think it modifies the kernel module used.

while googling it seems they do emulate a generic AMD NIC, what's interesting is that the OpenBSD folks have developed a specific VMware driver named "vic" which "supports the vmxnet driver protocol".

-p

--
Peter Wright
Systems Administrator