Re: Cobbler + %pre and %post in kickstart

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Michael DeHaan wrote:

 http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=4450&libid=36&releaseid=R158116&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PWE_2950&servicetag=&os=LIN4&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

 I haven't tried using the RAID tools just yet, but it does seem
 feasible to shim it into kickstart.  I assume other hardware vendors
 have similar tools.

Ironically, I used to write hardware RAID configuration software in a previous life :)

In theory, it should be possible to (a) retrieve the OEM command line tool in %pre (wget?) and configure hardware RAID with it there (in %pre), so you wouldn't have to rebuild the initrd just to add the raid tools. Either way, after running the RAID tool in %pre you will probably have to do something like scsi-add-single to get Anaconda to see the new drives prior to partitioning setup. Linux does not generally discover new logical drives without being told to look. Your driver/RAID tool might vary though.

I haven't really tried this to see if it would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Obviously you are also going to need your drivers for the particular hardware installed first, so you'll probably want to look into the "driverdisk" option in kickstart if they are not enabled by default. Using the shell (Control-Alt-F2?) is probably a good idea to do this all manually the first time, to see what problems you might encounter. Possibly put a sleep in pre to give you some time to test your commands within the boot environment and then write down what you need to do.

http://www.red-hat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

I can confirm it is possible to completely configure an HP Proliant (DL)
server including the RAID during a kickstart. I've seen it configured and working, but for various reasons (politics, bah) we did not
implement it.  As I recall, it took 2 boot cycles, one for the box
config, then reboot and do the install, so that would get around the
drive detection issue.

Much like Dell there is a Proliant Deployment pack with all kinds of
goodies in it.