Re: VMware?

drew einhorn wrote:
I just asked over on a VMware list.

And got the following link.  It's an example command for creating
VMware ESX VMs. The book it comes from looks very interesting.

http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid99_gci1243494,00.html

Nice -- even if it is a Windows example :) If you can get one tested that works with a cobbler server (or any /tftpboot tree based on a MAC address), we can probably get something integrated. I am a bit concerned about someone not knowing what to fill in for all of the $values, or when they change.

--Michael

On 7/3/07, *Michael DeHaan* < mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    drew einhorn wrote:
    > Things are working well on the ESX box now that I'm past the
    cobbler
    > and kickstart misconfigurations.
    >
    > Every time I create an new vm I need to take a trip though VMware's
    > Virtual Infrastructure Client, that I'd really like to
    avoid.  VMware
    > has a few more options to besides ram and disk space to configure
    > before creating a VM.  Haven't taken a close enough look to know
    > either how difficult it will be to live without being able to
    set them
    > when the VM is created, or how difficult it would be to extend
    cobbler
    > to handle more VM attributes, or how this maps into all the other
    > virtualization toolsets.

    Can you see if VMware has any docs for command line creation of
    guests?

    If so, those attributes could be added in koan fairly easily.   I
    don't
    have a test platform,
    but would be more than happy to code something up in koan if someone
    wanted to test the proof
    of concept.   Tracking a few additional attributes in cobbler wouldn't
    be a problem.

    <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>
    > <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
    >
    >     drew einhorn wrote:
    >     > Cobbler / Koan supports Xen virtualization.
    >     >
    >     > Has anyone looked at what it would take to get koan working
    >     > on other virtualization platforms?  I have a VMware ESX box
    >     > I'd like to be able to use it on.
    >     >

    >     Not to my knowledge -- though I like the idea.
    >
    >     As far as I'm aware, vmware does understand PXE
    installation, so koan
    >     would just need a way to create an "empty" guest
    >     that would PXE itself.   I know this is the plan for how we're
    >     going to
    >     support fully automatic installs for other
    >     virtualization types like KVM, Xen hardware virt, etc.
    >
    >     If there are any VMware experts on the list, patches would
    be great :)

    >     It seems like the syntax needed would not need to even
    access the
    >     cobbler server the way --virt does today, ex:
    >
    >     koan --virt --virt-type=vmware --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
    --virt-name=foo
    >     [...other options...]
    >
    >     --virt-type could default to "xenparavirt" and current
    behavior.

    >     --Michael

    > --
    > Drew Einhorn