Re: [RFC] Approach to installing a localized virtinst

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 02:44:29PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
Hello all,

I've recently undertaken adding localization support to virtinst. Since currently build and install from source is done using a typical setup.py script, I've encountered several issues involving how to handle installing the locale files, and making virtinst aware of where they are.

The attached patch handles the first issue: I added custom functionality to to the build and install_data commands as invoked in the setup script. The build command searchs po/ for any .po files and invokes msgfmt to compile them. The install_data additions have to do some silly things to name the files correctly as distutils cannot rename extra install files on the fly (ex. moves po/es.mo to build/es/virtinst.mo).

The second problem is a bit more perplexing. The path to the locale files has to be placed into a virtinst header so that the library knows where to look for them. Possible solutions I see:

1) Extracting the install root from setup.py mid run. This has to happen after build but before actual install. The locale path could then be formed and sed'd or some equivalent into a virtinst header file, which would than have to be (re)compiled and moved to the build directory. Ugly way to do it, but the user can still use setup.py as normal and all should work.

I think since your example for installing .po files is already overriding
the install_data class, we might as well override the install_lib class
and substitute in the local directory path at that point.

Thoughts? I'm not too familiar with this stuff so I may be overlooking a simpler solution, or oversimplifying a complex one!

Python's distutils is pretty horribly limited compared to comparable
tools, so I think overloading the install_lib is easiest option, unless
we were to throw out distutils completely which isn't exactly easy either.
Dan.

Yeah install_lib definitely seems like the way to go. I didn't realize the python byte-code compiling was done during the install and not the build, so its a pretty clean fix this way. I'll be sending the patches out shortly.

Thanks,
Cole

--
Cole Robinson