Re: Revisor / Cobbler and Revisor for CentOS5/RHEL5

Aaron Lippold wrote:
Hi Mike,

I just wanted to let you know that the Revisor folks are very
interested in an integration / partnership with Cobbler. They said,
"we well * definitely * be putting cobbler integration into Revisor
2.1.x..." .

Did the Revisor folks email you at all?

This is the first I've heard of it, though I'll definitely ping them. Neat.

Also, I was just wondering if your team has talked about putting a Web
Service - or web-ish system stuff - interface onto Cobbler given its
Enterprise scale? Just a thought. ( I have lots of those :) )

Ideally the FOSS community is the team :)

To answer the question -- Cobbler is being used as the provisioning backend behind virt-factory (http://virt-factory.et.redhat.com) -- which has a Web UI -- though cobbler itself doesn't have it's own WebUI yet. To be clear, virt-factory is somewhat specialized, so it doesn't fill the same niche, and uses only a subset of cobbler features. A couple of folks have expressed interest in doing a WUI for Cobbler before, though I don't believe anyone is actively pursuing it. I'd like one, though mostly I've been concentrating on the backend and virt-factory, so I haven't had the time to create one.

Writing something in TurboGears that uses the Cobbler API seems like a reasonably easy thing to do if anyone wants a side project. It wouldn't even need the database features. An alternate option might be PyGTK for a local configuration client.

The other possibility is to enhance the existing XMLRPC API provided by 0.5.0 cobblerd to support authentication, encryption, and the full API set -- so that cobbler could be integrated into more Web UI's that were not necessarily implemented in Python. I've been thinking about doing this, though I'd like to know if this would really be useful first -- just having a simple Web UI might achieve the same purpose.

Yours,

Aaron