Re: Re: About keeping the cdrom in the permanent XML for a guest after install

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 01:14:13PM -0400, Hugh Brock wrote:
> Oops, meant to reply to the list, not just to Nobuhiro-san...
>
> Nobuhiro Itou wrote:
> > Hi, Hugh
> >
> > I have an opinion about the following corrections.
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2007-June/msg00124.html
> >
> > I think that this correction has added the procedure to the Linux
> guest user.
> > In case of Linux, if installation is finished, the cdrom (/dev/cdrom)
> is not necessary.
> > The user has to detach one by one.
> >
> > And, before correction, the cdrom with no source was attached after
> installation. Isn't it enough for Windows? xm block-configure exchange
> the cdrom when Windows asks for it,
> > and since the cdrom with no source is positioning like the physics CD
> device with no media, it is not necessary to detach it after use.
> >
> > I recognize the problem of Windows had been already solved before
> correction.
> >
> > Cannot you retrieve to the state before this correction?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Nobuhiro Itou.
>
> Hi there.
>
> I still prefer the idea of leaving the CDROM mounted because the
> heuristic we use to determine if a Windows guest is being installed is a
> big hack, and because we don't use that code at all in virt-manager and
> I would like the cdrom to stay mounted by default in virt-manager
> installs as well.
>
> However, if the earlier behavior is useful to anyone, I'd be happy to
> take a patch for a virtinst argument that would direct virtinst not to
> include the cdrom device in the post-install guest description.

How about leaving the CDROM device itself always attached, but not having
any file (media) associated with it. That would keep the simplicity of
always doing the same config for all OS, while still allowing people to
use  'xm block-configure' for Windows guests to add the CDROM again.

On a side note, we really need a 'xm block-configure' equivalent API in
libvirt, so that we can do CDROM media changes from the virt-manager GUI
and virsh, for both KVM & Xen.

Dan.