Re: [et-mgmt-tools] "Could not communicate with" error

Bill McGonigle wrote:

So, now that I realized that:

yum_core_mirror_from_server: 0

was the default setting (the man page makes it sound like '1' is the default, FWIW), and just because I can (I realize it's probably overkill) I'd like to now destroy that instance and re-make it.
I'll see what's up with the docs...

Should I expect to use cobbler to do that, or just the standard xen tools? I guess I'm hinting at the bigger question of 'management' vs. 'deploy and redeploy', which I realize may be beyond the defined scope.
Cobbler definitely isn't a config management system -- which is why we're building virt-factory (http://virt-factory.et.redhat.com) which will combine both cobbler, new mirroring tools ("surfr"), and config management systems (puppet). There's not a whole lot there yet (still very alpha-level), but it's ramping up quickly. We'll have more on that shortly.

You could possibly put your yum configuration under control of a config management system, yes...

Ok, back to cobbler ... The yum_core_mirror_from_server stuff is just intended to help set up /etc/yum.repos.d on the provisioned machine, so you can just modify the yum config on the provisioned box to point to the server mirrored repositories if you like ... though if you haven't done anything else with the system yet re-provisioning will only take a few minutes.

The reason that setting is off by default now is a lot of users provision on a different network or install machines and move them to other places, where configuring them to use the boot server for yum installable packages no longer makes sense.

Thanks,
-Bill

-----
Bill McGonigle, Owner Work: 603.667.4000
BFC Computing, LLC Home: 603.448.1668
bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Cell: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/ Page: 603.442.1833
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/