From: Hugh Brock [mailto:hbrock@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:48 PM
To: FA
Cc: berrange@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Virt Manager Problem

FA wrote:
Dear Red Hatters

I successfully created a new virtual machine using the virtual manager, and it rebooted at the end of the process, but it never shows up

in virt-manager. If I try to open it from the file,("restore saved machine") it says:

"Error restoring domain /rhinst/vm1". Is the domain already running"

How do I change the Domain for the machine whose file name is at /rhinst/vm1 ??

virt-manager/libvirt in RHEL5 (and currently in FC6) does not have Inactive Domain Support -- this mean it doesn't know how to tell you about the existence or state of an inactive domain (like the one you just created). The only way to take the domain you just created and make it active is to execute "xm create <domain-name>" as root from the command line; this will start your domain and it will then show up in the virt-manager display.

Note that in Fedora 7 (and soon in FC6) we have added inactive domain support to libvirt and virt-manager, which means that your domain shows up in the virt-manager window even though it isn't running. You can then click on it and start it, or start it from the command line using libvirt's "virsh" command-line interface.

Hope this helps,
--Hugh

--
Red Hat Virtualization Group http://redhat.com/virtualization