Re: [et-mgmt-tools] More Cobbler, Koan and Xen questions

Foreman, Tim wrote:
I'm still trying to kickstart a Xen guest using Cobbler and Koan
and I'm making progress, but it's still not working right.

I have a distro, I have a profile and I have a system. The problem
is that it appears to be ignoring my kickstart file and goes into
an interactive install. I see in the webserver logs on the Cobbler
box that it's requesting, and getting, the kickstart file, but it
appears to not be using it.
The really best way to get what you want is to do a manual install using either virtguest-install or virt-manager, and then look at the /root/anaconda.ks and use that as a basis, just like you would for any other system. When kickstarts go interactive, it's because they miss an option they need. A kickstart file is basically an answer file for most of the install process.
My question is this: The cobbler man page states that I should use
the MAC address for the system name when kickstarting a virtual
server, but the MAC address is randomly generated when I run Koan
to do a virtual install.
Well, you don't technically have to, and I should probably clear that up in the manpage. The reason you would want to use the MAC address is so that you could do per-system templating, control the MAC address rather than getting a random one, and the like.
This is how you tell koan to provision virt based on a system definition:

koan --virt --system=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --server=foo.example.com

This assumes you've done a "cobbler system add --name=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF --profile=virtualfoo" before.

--
Timothy W. Foreman ~ Security Administrator ~ tforeman@xxxxxxxxx
(651) 365-4181     ~ Internet Broadcasting  ~ www.ibsys.com