Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Xen domU + koan

John Sanabria wrote:
Hi James,

if you want you can review the COMMANDS used by me in order to create
distro, then profile (http://pdcsrv.ece.uprm.edu/blog/?p=78) and then how
to deploy a virtual machine with koan
(http://pdcsrv.ece.uprm.edu/blog/?p=80).
I'm not sure I understand what "distro repository" is in your diagrams as the cobbler "database" is usually on the same box.
I see this as:

(cobbler server) <----- pulls data from ---- (target system with koan installed)

And that's it.

Boot configurations are defined on the cobbler server and accessed either via PXE or with koan.
Time ago, Michael in private email give a theoretical details about the
roles that plays cobbler and koan, but, since i'm a bad student, i can not
understand all (sorry Michael, but many thanks for your explaination),
however the COMMANDS in those documents, work for me!

Hi Michael, i have a question. According to figure attached, there exist a
machine where is declared a profile->distro->system. If an user is located
to remote server is possible for him execute:

koan --replace-self --server=15.20.10.10 --system=databaseserver

and then, replace the old system for the new one (databaseserver)? What is
the security restrictions to avoid that a malicious user drop a running
system?
The user in question needs to be logged in to the remote system and have root on it.
(Or, if using "cobbler enchant" needs to be in root's authorized_keys).

Another one, is not possible execute:

koan --virt --server=15.20.10.10 --system=databaseserver

where, in databaseserver system is defined the physical host where the
virtual machine will be deployed? why is that possible considered?
I'm sorry, I don't understand this question.

BTW, best practices for koan suggest using mac addresses for cobbler system names, not hostnames.
thanks a lot! regards.

http://ece.uprm.edu/~s047267
http://del.icio.us/josanabr
http://blog-grid.blogspot.com