Re: [et-mgmt-tools] virt-manager features and roadmap tentative draft

Hugh Brock wrote:
Hugh Brock wrote:
Red Hat team members had a meeting this week to look at the work ahead for virt-manager. Based on our own thoughts and a list of outside requests, we came up with this tentative roadmap for Fedora 7 and Fedora 8. We'd like to hear from the community on additional features and modifications to these as well.

Apologies for the bad formatting of the last two posts (Thunderbird
and tabs are not behaving well for me). This one should be more readable...

Features                When            Issues
Qemu and KVM backends   Fedora 7        Will need libvirt support
OS profiles             Fedora 7        Should be able to select an OS
                                        type when installing a full-virt
                                        guest, so we can pass
                                        appropriate boot parameters
                                        (acpi on/off for example).
Mouse pointer in
  console for PV        Fedora 7        Already works in rawhide for
                                        RHEL5 and Fedora 6 guests, with
                                        configuration.
Drop-down lists for PV
 installs               Fedora 7        We would like to prepopulate the
                                        PV kernel source lists with some
                                        sensible URLs. Problem: mirror
                                        selection?
Group operations        Fedora 7        We would like to be able to
                                        select multiple guests at once
                                        for certain operations
                                        (shutdown, for example).
UI for block/net devs   Fedora 7        We need UI for adding vbds and
                                        vnics to guests. Support for
                                        this is already available in
                                        libvirt
XML output              Fedora 7        We would like to be able to
                                        write the libvirt guest config
                                        XML to a file, for export to
                                        other tools
Connect help button     Fedora 7        We need help text for all of the
                                        virt-manager screens
Crash-dump button       Fedora 7        Would like to have UI for
                                        crashing a guest and storing the
                                        crash dump somewhere. Support
                                        for this is already available in
                                        libvirt

Managing multiple                       Requires libvirt remote mgmt
  remote hosts                          support
 * connect dialog       Fedora 8        Needs some UI for remote
                                        authentication/authorization
 * manager window       Fedora 8        Should display hosts/guests
                                        in a tree or something similar,
                                        rather than the current simple
                                        list
 * VNC widget
   performance          Fedora 8        The Python vnc code runs too
                                        slowly to be usable when
                                        connecting over a network pipe.
                                        We need to replace it with a C
                                        widget.
 * VNC widget auth
   and encrypt          Fedora 8        The connection from the VNC
                                        widget to the remote console
                                        needs to be secured and
                                        authenticated

Dogtail tests           Fedora 8        We need a full set of UI tests
                                        now that the UI is somewhat
                                        stabilized.

--Hugh

--