Re: [et-mgmt-tools] koan specfile suggestion: require python >= 2.4

Adam Monsen wrote:
On 1/23/07, *Michael DeHaan* <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
[...]

    > That report is about libvirt-python not koan. There's no need to
    add a
    > dependancy to the koan specfile to enforce a requirement of
    libvirt for
    > python 2.3 - simply adding the Requires: line to the libvirt-python
    > specfile is sufficient.
    >
    > Regards.
    > Dan.

    Speaking of koan (if we are speaking about koan?) it doesn't even need
    that. Current behavior (again, to support koan on RHEL3 and places
    where
    Xen isn't installed) is to only try to import virt modules when
    running
    the virt commands, s.t. koan still works on non Xen aware
    platforms. If
    it's trying to import virt stuff when doing "--replace-self", we have
    issues though -- shouldn't be doing that.

Here's the error message I saw, in case it helps. If not, please disregard. Sorry, I should've had this in the original post.

... snip ...
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/koan/virtcreate.py", line 173, in start_paravirt_install
    import libvirt
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 7, in ?
    import libvirtmod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/libvirtmod.so: undefined symbol: PyEval_ThreadsInitialized

... snip ...

--
Adam Monsen

I'm guessing what happened is that libvirt wants python 2.4 now and didn't earlier (Dan?). Koan does a lazy load of libvirt (only when virt commands are requested), so on 2.3 systems, you are free to use --replace-self but virt won't work anymore. Basically I don't want to require 2.4 in the specfile as that breaks koan for a lot of legitimate non-virt uses. It does sound like koan needs to print more helpful error messages about virt not working when you have only python 2.3 though.

Anyhow, the spec file won't be edited, but the error messages can be worked on. "koan --replace-self" is used on a lot of Python 2.3 systems and that needs to continue to work everywhere, even on RHEL3 :)

Hopefully that makes sense.

--Michael