Re: [et-mgmt-tools] cobbler check question

Tom Diehl wrote:
Hi,

I am just starting to use cobbler and so far it is working well. One thing I have noticed is that cobbler check gets confused by the fact that I have
"server_args -s /tftpboot" the xinetd config and tftpboot: /tftpboot/pxe
in /var/lib/cobbler/services.

I have a /tftpboot that looks something like this:

(rocky pts4) # ls -d /tftpboot/*
/tftpboot/cisco/ /tftpboot/pxe/
(rocky pts4) #

Is there a better way to do this or should I just continue to ignore the
cobbler error?

Regards,

The PXE components shouldn't work with the way you have it configured, so the check result seems correct based on what information you've given so far.

Explanation -- TFTP runs chroot, so your tftp root is configured as "/tftpboot". However, you're telling cobbler to write files in "/tftpboot/pxe", so files in pxelinux.cfg referencing "/images/blah" would be looking in "/tftpboot/blah" on your filesystem when the files are actually being stored in "/tftpboot/pxe/blah".

Recent versions of cobbler do not delete contents of "/tftpboot" they do not own when syncing, so if you set tftpboot in /var/lib/cobbler/settings back to the value you are using in xinetd.d, it should be good to go. Cobbler will write the files where it needs to write them relative to TFTP root, and you're free to use the rest of the directory for other things. The reason the tftpboot setting is there at all in settings is to accomodate for TFTP installs that might not want to use the partition mounted on "/" for hosting tftp content.

FYI, The directories/items cobbler will modify in /tftpboot are:

pxelinux.cfg (directory)
images (directory)
pxelinux.0 (file)
elilo-3.6-ia64.efi (file)