[EPEL-devel] Re: EPEL 10 status update

Hey Orion,

I planned to send a status update following the hackfest, but I didn't
think about the confusion that would be caused for packagers not at
the hackfest who were getting branch requests.  Sorry about that.  I
just posted a summary on the discussion thread.  I'll include it below
as well.

---

The EPEL 10 hackfest at Flock took place yesterday.  We were able to
get enough of the infrastructure working prior to the hackfest to
enable packagers in attendance to do a controlled trial run building
packages.  This also resulted in a few branch request bugzillas for
dependencies, which I realize in hindsight was confusing for packagers
not at the hackfest.  I apologize for not setting that expectation
ahead of time.

Here is a summary of what is and isn't working at this point.

What works:

- creating epel10 branches (`fedpkg request-branch epel10`)
- pushing commits to epel10 branches
- pull requests to epel10 branches
- Fedora CI scratch builds for epel10 pull requests
- creating epel10.0 builds from epel10 branches (`fedpkg build` from
an epel10 branch)
- automatic bodhi updates, similar to rawhide

What has not been completed yet:

- publish the epel/10 repo
- mirror the epel/10 repo
- create epel-release for epel10
- epel10 configs in mock-core-configs
- Fedora CI tasks for epel10 pull requests
- enable the testing period in bodhi

With no published repo, no mirroring, and no testing period (0 days to
stable in bodhi), this is not a good time to start consuming EPEL 10.
However, it is a good time for packagers to start building their
packages.  To be clear, this is the announcement to packagers that
they can start building their packages.  I'm hoping that in the next
week or two we'll be able to get the mock configs done to enable
packagers to do local builds, but in the mean time koji scratch builds
are a solid alternative.

We built about 70 packages during the allotted time of the hackfest,
and as I write this we just passed 100 builds.  Things seem to be
working well.  Please let me know if you notice any issues, aside from
known items on the "not completed yet" list above.

Happy packaging!

On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 12:29 AM Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/4/24 01:45, Carl George wrote:
> > I originally posted this on Fedora Discussion [0], but I'm sharing it
> > here as well for awareness.
> >
> > # Executive summary
> >
> > EPEL 10 is expected to be launched in Q4 of 2024.  You may start
> > noticing parts of the infrastructure coming online sooner than that.
> > **Please do not start creating EPEL 10 builds until we announce that
> > we are ready for packagers to start building.**
>

> I'm seeing some builds and bugzilla requests for branching/builds.  What
> is the current status?
>
> --
> Orion Poplawski
> he/him/his  - surely the least important thing about me
> IT Systems Manager                         720-772-5637
> NWRA, Boulder/CoRA Office             FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion@xxxxxxxx
> Boulder, CO 80301                 https://www.nwra.com/
>
> --

Carl George