Re: Contact to Oracle Linux EPEL repo maintainer

For what it's worth, discrepancies between the real EPEL and the repo
that Oracle calls EPEL have been a known issue for quite some time.
The problem goes beyond just packages with differing versions.  There
are a significant number of packages that only exist in the real EPEL
or only in Oracle's repo.  Back in 2021 I updated the default mock
configs for oracle+epel to use the real EPEL because of this problem.

https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/pull/806

In that pull request Avi mentions that the reason for rebuilding EPEL
packages is so that an Oracle customer can get all of their packages
from Oracle.  He said he had no objection to Oracle renaming their
repo to something else to avoid this confusion, but this does not
appear to have happened yet.  Avi, is that something that is still
within the realm of possibility?

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 10:37 AM Leon Fauster via epel-devel
<epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 31.05.24 um 15:30 schrieb Troy Dawson:
> > On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 2:48 AM Peter Soppe <peter@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:peter@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello EPEL Team,
> >
> >     I am trying to find out how to contact the maintainer of the Oracle
> >     Linux EPEL repository.
> >     The only website I found about EPEL and Contact is
> >     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#contact
> >     <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#contact>
> >
> >     My current issue is that I use the Oracle Linux 8 EPEL package
> >     "cacti" - and there is a security issue that is solved in cacti
> >     Version 1.2.27 (2024-05-12).
> >
> >     This version is available in the Fedora/RHEL Epel
> >     https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/cacti/cacti/
> >     <https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/cacti/cacti/>  since
> >     2024-05-21 (9 days after release)
> >     but not in the Oracle Linux EPEL:
> >     https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL8/developer/EPEL/x86_64/index.html <https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL8/developer/EPEL/x86_64/index.html>
> >     Here the latest available Version is 1.2.23 (2023-01-13) which is
> >     about 19 months old.
> >
> >     I want to know if there are plans to update the cacti version in the
> >     Oracle EPEL repo and if yes what is the planned timeline to do so.
> >
> >     Best regards,
> >        Peter Soppe
> >

> > Although the Oracle Linux EPEL repository has the word "EPEL" in it, it
> > is a repository supported and maintained by Oracle Linux.  Similar to
> > the CentOS Extras repo.
> > As such, we can only  point you back to the distribution and its community.
> >
> > https://support.oracle.com/ <https://support.oracle.com/>
> >
> > I did try looking for other information, but everything I found only had
> > a heading and to get more information I needed to create an Oracle
> > account and log in, which I am not willing to do.
> >

> @Peter why not using the original repo -> EPEL of EPEL :-)
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/epel/
>
> (do not forget to disable the EPE(O)L repo of Oracle).
>

> --
>
> Leon
>

> --

Carl George