Re: apptainer 1.1.8-1 has an incompatible change for apptainer-suid users

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 02:11:46AM -0500, Carl George wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM Dave Dykstra via epel-devel
> > The summary of the CVE is that the way that apptainer & singularity
> > allow mounts of ext3 filesystems in setuid mode raises the severity of
> > many ext4 filesystem CVEs (ext3 filesystems are implemented by the ext4
> > driver).  OS vendors consider those CVEs to be low or moderate priority
> > because they assume that users do not have write access to the
> > underlying bits of the filesystem, but apptainer/singularity setuid mode
> > gives that access to users by default (before this release of apptainer).
> > Since vendors don't see urgency to patch low/moderate CVEs, it can take
> > a very long time for them to patch them and in fact RHEL7 is not patched
> > for one in particular.  All this information came from a reliable source,
> > the owner of the ext4 kernel driver.
>
> The Red Hat CVSS score for CVE-2022-1184 has the same breakdown as the
> NVD CVSS score.  Both rate the "privileges required" property as low.
> From what I can tell that property would be rated high if they
> considered root privileges to be required.  How does apptainer's use
> of setuid change anything here?

According to the explanation I received from the ext4 kernel developer,
Red Hat's CVSS rating was incorrect on that property.  Without singularity
or apptainer it does require high privileges to exploit.

> > I am sorry to see that I have already done one step too many according
> > to the incompatible changes policy, and have made the release available
> > to epel-testing.  However, I think it's important to make it available
> > that way for system administrators to install early.  The large High
> > Energy Physics community that I represent has security teams that want
> > to be able to notify their site administrators to upgrade to respond to
> > this high severity CVE, and it would be so much better if the
> > announcement they send can say to install from epel-testing rather than
> > having to provide URLs to download from koji.
>
> You can't just ignore the policy because you feel it's important to
> make a particular update available quickly.  If you feel the policy
> needs to allow for things to be done in that order, propose a change
> to the policy.

The policy does already say parenthetically that a short-circuit is
needed for security updates.  I will propose a change to make such a
short-circuit.

> > So, to the EPEL Steering Committee members: must I unpublish this update
> > from testing, or may I leave it there and send an announcement to
> > epel-announce that it is there and pending approval by the committee?
> > The bodhi settings are set so they won't get auto-updated by karma or
> > time.
>
> We discussed this earlier today at the Steering Committee meeting.  No
> one seemed to have an issue with allowing these updates to stay in the
> testing repo until we vote on it next week.  Next time, follow the
> policy steps correctly.

Thank you, I will do that.  I apologize for starting off on the wrong
foot.  I neglected to read the policy again in my focus on getting the
release done.

Dave