Re: apptainer 1.1.8-1 has an incompatible change for apptainer-suid users

We believe that it is important to apply this change to all EPEL releases,
for these reasons:
1. The general vulnerability described in this CVE applies equally to all
    currently supported Linux distributions.  The Singularity/Apptainer
    community has long been aware that making setuid-root kernel
    filesystem mounts available to all users has been a risk, because
    https://lwn.net/Articles/652468/ briefly explained that kernel
    developers considered that to be a great risk.  System admins have
    been willing to live with the risk because (a) nobody had identified
    an attack, (b) the functionality was so useful, especially the
    squashfs mounts, and (c) there wasn't an alternative.  With the new
    information from the ext4 kernel filesystem owner, we now have more
    specifics on how the attack can be done including an example
    vulnerability, the ext3 mounts aren't as widely used as squashfs,
    and Apptainer has an alternative using unprivileged user namespaces.
2. RHEL8 & RHEL9 have unprivileged user namespaces enabled by default,
    so the functionality will still be available to most of the users.
    It does not automatically switch to the alternative, but there's a
    clear error message saying that it is disabled by configuration and
    suggesting that users add the --userns option (and of course if
    apptainer-suid is not installed it uses the user namespace mode
    automatically).
3. It is important to have consistency across platforms, since users and
    administrators often use more than one and it would be confusing to
    have different behavior on different platforms.  Admins can also
    install the rpm on RHEL8 & 9 directly from github, and it would not
    be good to have different behavior when installed from EPEL.

Dave