Re: EPEL 8 Modules get the axe on Halloween 2022

On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 at 03:34, Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
V Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 03:09:32PM -0700, Troy Dawson napsal(a):
> - epel-release will be updated.
> -- epel-modular will set enabled = 0

Does it only mean releasing a new epel-release package with epel-modular
configuration file set to "enabled = 0", or does it also involve more magic
like editing that configuration with RPM scriptlets.

I ask because configuration files edited by a user are not subject of RPM
updates. rpm tool installs updated files under a new file name and keeps
the original intact, effectively unupdated.

My original thought was turning if off for new users, but I am realizing because we defined it to be on by default.. we will be breaking existing users. Thanks for questioning my logic as it was wrong.

> October 31 2022:
> - The EPEL 8 modules will be archived and removed.

Does EPEL have any communication channel to EPEL users besides this mailing
list? If it does, do you plan to announce this change there? Preferably ahead
of time.

There are 2 emailing lists. One of them ate the email that troy sent a while ago and held it versus accepting it. I have kicked the server and hopefully it gets sent now. That said we need to fix the communication and update it for better dates.

We thought of rebuilding all of the existing modules with an updated deprecated somewhere in the data, but since many of them are just branched for each release it looked like we would instead say the module was deprecated in existing Fedora releases. I expect there is a way to do this, but I have no idea what it would break.

I worry that users do not follow a list called epel-devel because they think
it's only for EPEL developers. As such this change will come to them as
a surprise.

There used to be an epel-users list but about 8 real people subscribed to it versus N hundred spam accounts. We turned it off after most of the posts were needing to be deleted or the few questions being asked were never being answered because the developers were not on it.

-- Petr

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren