Re: Mock/Copr default epel-8-* configuration to be changed

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 2:02 PM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 8:26 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > That seems to be a succinct listing. I think you left out my
> > > suggestion.of "support people re-inventing point releases for CentOS",
> > > which is what major CentOS users will do using internal mirrors. due
> > > to concern about unexpected and unwelcome updates of CentOS Stream,
> > > while they assess whether AlmaLinux or Rocky are reliable and stable
> > > enough to use. It's not an uncommon behavior for EPEL itself, partly
> > > because of EPEL's bad habit of deleting RPMs without warning and
> > > stripping out all previous releases. That's caused me problems with
> > > chromium and firefox when updates were incompatible with contemporary
> > > regression testing systems.
> > >

> > It's not a "bad habit", it happens because when packages are retired,
> > keeping the packages there does a disservice to the community by
> > effectively forcing a maintenance burden when there's no maintainer.
> > As for stripping out previous releases, that's just how Pungi and
> > Bodhi do update composes at the moment. Someday that'll be fixed, but
> > then we'd have to come up with a policy on how many because there are
> > storage concerns for mirrors if we kept everything published forever.
>
> It causes problems and confusion for people who need to lock down
> evisting versions for deployment. And it happens for packages that are
> not retired, but merely updated. I was bitten by it myself with
> chromium updates last year. It forces users of EPEL to maintain
> internal repos, or out of band access to previously accessible RPMs.
> It's destabilizing and breaks the use of bills-of-material based
> deployments with complete lists of all desired RPMs.
>
> Storage and bandwidth concerns are legitimate concerns, as is
> potentially continuing to publish older releases with known
> vulnerabilities or bugs.  But neither Fedora nor RHEL simply discard
> previously published versions this way, they aggregate new releases. I
> consider this a longstanding bug for EPEL, and one of the reasons I
> set up internal mirrors in large deployments.

This is not true. Fedora and EPEL share the same system, and have the
same issues. The only difference is that the release repo is frozen in
Fedora, so only the updates repo is affected this way. So there's at
most two versions of a package at any time.

RHEL *does* maintain multiple old versions, but their system is
completely different and supports that capability.