Re: Do we need Mock supported on EL7?

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 9:08:48 PM CEST Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 9:19 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 17:59, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > We touched this topic several times before in our team.  Perhaps we should move
> > > on and do it...  it would simplify a development (the yum/dnf hacks,
> > > legacy systemd-nspawn hacks, podman requirement for building Fedora, etc.).
> > >
> > > I created an issue [1], can you please vote there if you are concerned?  If you
> > > have a good argument for keeping the support, please write here or there (or
> > > both).
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/issues/755
> > >

> > First off, what does this mean:
> >
> > 1. you can't build EL7 packages anymore with mock? AKA we would need
> > to stop building EPEL7
> > 2. you can't use "mock" on systems after the XYZ version?
> >
> > Going from the graphs of growth, most of EL growth has been in EL7
> > since last year. That said.. I expect that if there is a version which
> > is 'known' to be the last working version of mock then people needing
> > it can 'keep' that version on those systems as long as they need.
>
> I've done backports of mock for some operating systems, to get updated
> versions of mock-core-configs on Amazon Linux 2 for example.  You can
> still compile older operating systems on modern operating systems. The
> bigger problem is operating systems like Amazon Linux 2, or RHEL,
> where the basic software repositories are not publicly accessible to
> use on other systems. Either you have to use mock on those operating
> systems to build for them, or you need to set up an internal yum
> mirror with tools ike
> https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts/blob/master/reposync-rhel-6.sh
> .

We can build RHEL 7 just fine on RHEL 8 or on Fedora, without a local mirror.
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/wiki/Feature-rhelchroots

If we faced with bottlenecks, going with bootstrap chroot or even bootstrap
image should help nowadays.

> EL 8 had its adoption poisoned by some very unwelcome choices by Red
> Hat. That's a long rant of its own, one I've stated before in the
> CentOS groups. But it means that EL 7 is going to be around a lot
> longer than people may wish. If we can keep mock working for EL 7 for
> longer, I'd be all on board. I especially want it for Amazon Linux 2,
> where I provided some support for the Samba developers to port current
> Samba releases to that EL 7 based but somewhat distinct environment.
> (python3 is python 3.7 there, and they have python 3.8 available:
> stuff built for RHEL 7 or CentOs 7 does not behave well there!)

The Mock on EL 7 should stay working for the extended life period.  Just
that it would not get updates with all bugfixes and new features.

Pavel