Re: proposal: EPEL 8 Next

> So, maintainers would need to be careful to make sure epel8-next or
> whatever packages are rpm 'newer' at all times to make this work right?
> Or I guess if they were fixing soname issues like above, dnf might be
> smart enough to pull in the next version anyhow even if it was lower
> than the epel8 one (unless the user used --best).

Yes, I believe dnf helps us out here as you described.  We could also
document that packagers should take care to ensure the upgrade path works
from epel8 to epel8-next, similar to Fedora branches.  Fedora has the added
benefit of the dist macro always ensuring the release field is higher on
higher branches, but in our cases it's .el8 for both.  Maybe we could
consider redefining dist for epel8-next builds to accomplish the same thing,
but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

> So, say I have package foo that needs a rebuild to work with stream.
> I request a branch, do a build and everything there is happy.
> Now, 8.x comes out and the main epel8 one needs a rebuild. I do that and
> push it out and everything is happy again... but what about the
> epel8-stream/next package? It just sits there older and unused?

Yes, but I don't see a problem with this.

> I assume this would work like playground/rawhide as far as landing in
> the buildroot right after build and going out in the daily compose?
> Or would you want to use bodhi updates?

My preference would be to use bodhi updates.  I think updates getting
published without review would degrade the experience for CentOS Stream
users.  We could do a lower karma/time threashold than regular EPEL if
desired.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > planned for RHEL 8.3, which has already been released in CentOS 8 Stream.
> > There are likely other incompatibilities that haven't been noticed yet.  I
> > expect this problem to grow worse as RHEL development continues and more
> > packages are added to EPEL 8.  This situation is hurting the adoption of
> > CentOS Stream.
> >
> > To solve this problem, I am proposing that we create a new repository called
> > EPEL 8 Next.
> >
> > - built against CentOS 8 Stream
> > - opt-in for packagers (must request epel8-next dist-git branch)
> > - opt-in for users (part of epel-release but disabled by default)
>
> I like tdawsons idea down thread that it be a 'epel-release-stream' or
> whatever subpackage, so they have to install that and enable it (just
> like they would for enabling stream)
>
> > - used *with* epel8, not *instead of*
>
> So, maintainers would need to be careful to make sure epel8-next or
> whatever packages are rpm 'newer' at all times to make this work right?
> Or I guess if they were fixing soname issues like above, dnf might be
> smart enough to pull in the next version anyhow even if it was lower
> than the epel8 one (unless the user used --best).
>
> Possibly it would be best to say 'must be newer' and have some kind of
> check... ?
>
> > This will provide EPEL packagers a place where they can update their
> > packages when necessary to be compatible with CentOS 8 Stream.  These
> > packages would also be useful for RHEL 8 users during the gap between a RHEL
> > minor release and the equivalent CentOS 8 Linux rebuild.  In theory this
> > repository should also be directly consumable by RHEL 8 Beta releases.
> > Similar to RHEL itself, breaking changes could be permitted in epel8-next in
> > preparation for delivering them to epel8 around the time of the next RHEL
> > minor release.
>
> So, say I have package foo that needs a rebuild to work with stream.
> I request a branch, do a build and everything there is happy.
> Now, 8.x comes out and the main epel8 one needs a rebuild. I do that and
> push it out and everything is happy again... but what about the
> epel8-stream/next package? It just sits there older and unused?
>

> > This proposal may sound similar to epel8-playground.  However, that was
> > still built against RHEL 8, so it didn't solve the compatibility issue with
> > CentOS 8 Stream.  This proposal does draw on lessons learned from the
> > playground experiment.
> >
> > - no automatic builds via packages.cfg
> > - opt-in rather than opt-out
> > - layering on top of epel8, rather than duplicating content
> >
> > I first suggested this idea at the last EPEL Steering Committee meeting, and
> > we plan to discuss it again during the next one.  Please share your thoughts
> > on this proposal.
>
> I assume this would work like playground/rawhide as far as landing in
> the buildroot right after build and going out in the daily compose?

Carl George