Re: EPEL: Python34 moving to Python36

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:31 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Over the last 5 days, Troy Dawson, Jeroen van Meeuwen, Carl W George,
> and several helpers have gotten nearly all of the python34 packages
> moves over to python36 in EPEL-7.  They are being included in 6 Bodhi
> pushes because of a limitation in Bodhi for the text size of packages
> in an include.
>
> The current day for these package groups to move into EPEL regular is
> April 2nd. We would like to have all tests we find in the next week or
> so also added so that the updates can occur in a large group without
> too much breakage.
>

> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-f2d195dada
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-9e9f81e581
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-0d62608bce
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-5be892b745
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-0f4cca7837
> https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2019-ed3564d906
>
> Please heavily test them by doing the following:
> Stage 1 Testing
> Install RHEL, CentOS, or Scientific Linux 7 onto a TEST system.
> Install or enable the EPEL repository for this system
> Install various packages you would normally use
> yum --enablerepo=epel-testing update
> Report problems to epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Stage 2 Testing
> Check for any updated testing instructions on this blog or EPEL-devel list.
> Install RHEL, CentOS, or Scientific Linux 7 onto a TEST system.
> Install or enable the EPEL repository for this system
> yum install python34
> yum --enablerepo=epel-testing update
> Report problems to epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Stage 3 Testing
> Check for any updated testing instructions on this blog or EPEL-devel list.
> Install RHEL, CentOS, or Scientific Linux 7 onto a TEST system.
> Install or enable the EPEL repository for this system
> yum install python36
> yum --enablerepo=epel-testing update
> Report problems to epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> This should cover the three most common scenarios. Other scenarios
> exist and will require some sort of intervention to work around. We
> will outline them as they come up.
>
> Many Many Thanks go to Troy, Jeroen, Carl, and the many people on the
> python team who made a copr and did many of the initial patches to
> make this possible.
> --
> Stephen J Smoogen

Thank you to everyone for all the feedback, testing, fixes and discussion.
I believe all of the blocking problems have been worked out and that
we are ready to push these to stable.

I will be doing the push to stable in 4 hours.
If you have something you think is a blocker, please let me know before then.

We have found that there were some packages left off the list of
packages to rebuild.  This is not a blocker, but please let me know
and I will get them rebuilt and they will have their own smaller bodhi
update.

Troy Dawson