EPEL-8 plans and needed work

Yesterday, Red Hat announced its Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta, and
so we would like to start getting ideas on what people expect for
EPEL-8.

First off, we are not going to be able to do this like we did with
EPEL-5,6, or 7 because too much of the build infrastructure and tools
have changed since 2013 when we last started planning for EPEL-7.
Packages no longer have per branch permissions, packages can be ‘by
themselves’ and also modules, and modules really need more than one
packager to maintain run them. Plus we all know that there are points
of pain in the current EPEL structure where packages go and come from
the repository without much notice or planning.

I would like to open the floor on how a beta program this time should
be run and also how EPEL in the future should compose itself
(currently we completely compose daily without an update tree or other
tools) in the future. I would like any ideas to come with some
proposals on how it could be implemented (can be hand-wavy), and I
would like to ‘close’ debate on this by December 15th with a plan to
have a beta ready to start building in January.

As that may be a long delay for people who need openvpn and such, I
would like to look also at standing up a mini-epel in /pub/alt which
could be used to put packages in for users built using the methods we
currently use. This area would also be where attempts to make EPEL-8
and anything else we do more modular would be done without affecting
core EPEL until we are ready to make it happen.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.