Re: rethinking the epel testing

On Tue, 2017-01-17 at 12:07 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 04:11:31PM +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
> wrote:
> > 1. The majority of people who use EPEL are not Fedora users. They
> > are
> > more likely to report a bug they encounter, in CentOS forums (or
> > RHEL)
> > rather than understand fedora process and the need for karma.
>
> Can we help steer those people into understanding Bodhi? It's not
> like a deep knowledge of all things Fedora is required.

I usually get issues related to EPEL on upstream (issue tracker or
mailing list). I have referred the reporters either to use EPEL
bugzilla or bodhi itself if I knew there was a fix.

With this approach, I have noticed that some (quite few) of the users
did register to report a bug with bugzilla, but no-one ever had left
feedback on bodhi (even if they had reported the bug).

Let's see what is the process for these users.
1. They register on the bugzilla
2. They report a bug in EPEL
3. The see something like:
"ocserv-0.11.6-2.el7 has been submitted as an update to Fedora EPEL 7.
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-8e42046775";

No info there what to do, so I guess some will click this link to find
the rpms.

4. They click

The screen on the above link has some information on the fix itself,
the bug addressed, and a very small link to the rpms at the 'Builds'
line.

I guess if they can find the link to the rpms (to be honest I couldn't
on my first visit to the new interface), they would download the RPMs
and never come back.

There is no information there indicating that they need to leave
feedback for this update. The feedback form is way below the page (I
needed to scroll down, and the Karma keyword although visible I am
pretty sure its meaning is clear only to existing Fedora users/devels).

5. Few days later the bug will be updated with:
"ocserv-0.11.6-2.el7 has been pushed to the Fedora EPEL 7 testing
repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this
bug report.
See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing for
instructions on how to install test updates.
You can provide feedback for this update here:
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2016-8e42046775
"

To understand what this cryptic message means one has to click the link
 in QA:Updates_Testing. If one tries these generic instructions in
EPEL, he will notice that they don't work. One needs to replace dnf
with yum. As both packager's names are meaningless for the average
person that may or may not be obvious.

While some of these users will read the links to generic instructions
that was posted, and do things right, most will not (in my experience
none reached that point). An improvement would be not to link to
generic instructions but post specific instructions for the component
fixed. How to install and how to leave feedback. At this moment my
impression is that we are posting links to bugzilla and we expect the
users to educate themselves.

regards,
Nikos