Re: Requirements for SRPM names

On 13 September 2016 at 17:14, Avram Lubkin <aviso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>

>> The reasoning for needing a python3-foobaz is that we don't replace
>> the python2 version of foobaz with a package which does not work at
>> all with the python2 installed and possibly breaks an existing app.
>

> You seem to be talking about RPM names and not SRPM names. By convention,
> any Python 3 package for EPEL7 would actually be python34-package. The point
> of this thread is to discuss SRPM names and if python34-package can be built
> from a SPRM package named python-package like in Fedora. Since python2 and
> python3 packages are generally built from the same source and spec, the SRPM
> and Fedora Git repo are usually not versioned. The problem is when a python2
> package exists in RHEL, but we want to supply a python34 package. The draft
> guidelines (which are the only ones we have) say this is a conflict, but it
> seems that is not stated anywhere in the EPEL guidelines. The main problem
> this creates is very few python34 packages get created because people don't
> want to maintain multiple repos for the same thing.

You are right, I was not correctly thinking when I wrote that. Part of
my brain was assuming that you would be pulling in newer versions of
python-foobaz since usually the stuff in RHEL is considered old and
decrepit for people wanting python3.  The one issue I can see with
using the python-foobaz-1.3-0.1.epel.src.rpm is that it is going to
cause problems for CentOS builders/users in that the spec file for the
CentOS package is going to conflict with the EPEL one.. but that is
just a concern that I would want the CentOS members to talk about.

> As far as the limited arch packages, I bring that up because it seems from
> the guidelines their SRPM name would be the same as the one in RHEL. If that
> is acceptable there, it likely should be for python packages.
>
> Avram

Stephen J Smoogen.