[Anaconda-devel] Re: Anaconda Light for Servers

On Tue, 2024-08-13 at 15:12 +0000, Sean M wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, thank you for the work on Anaconda/kickstart, it's very
> reliable and is pleasant to work with.
>
> Like many others, I've been busy upgrading several hundred machines
> from EL7 to EL9 and in doing this I've had to work around a size/RAM
> limitation in Anaconda.
Just making sure - are you running the installation in text mode ?
I it is doing an automated install driven by kickstart, the TUI should
be sufficient & end result the same. By not loading all the GUI stuff
to memory, the peak memory usage should be lower.

Also some other things to try:
- make sure there is a swap partition (IIRC, at least when we create
one, we will use it during the installation), which should also reduce
peak memory pressure
- reduce number of packages being installed, possibly install the rest
after rebooting to the new system (should reduce peak memory pressure
caused by depsolving)
- create a custom minimal image via Image Builder:
https://docs.redhat.com/en/documentation/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html-single/composing_a_customized_rhel_system_image/index
-> not sure if it can actually make a smaller image, but possibly still
worth checking out/asking around for options/submitting a RFE
-> I think it might be also able to build a non-RPM payload (eq. rootfs
tarball), which could reduce peak RAM pressure (no depsolving) at
installation time

> Hundreds of machines I've been upgrading are physical, outside the
> country I reside in, and do not have an OOB interface (effectively
> only accessible over ssh) making the upgrade process a bit perilous.
>
> When the machine has enough RAM we can boot into the
> pxeboot/images/[vmlinuz/initrd.img] pair and source the stage2 and
> the rest of the things we need from the network.
> When the machine _does not_ have enough RAM, we have to repartition
> the disk (a combination of XFS/LVM prevent shrinking, the /boot
> partition is too small, and sourcing stage2 from a disk targeted to
> be wiped and repartitioned is marked as protected stopping the
> installer) with a separate partition labeled "installer", download
> the vmlinuz/initrd.img/install.img there, and booting with
> `inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=installer`.
>
> This "works", but the extra step to boot the installer off the disk
> instead of the network seems like it could be avoided. I know there
> are many ways to solve this problem (cat an image over the network
> and dd it from a rescue environment, or something along those lines),
> but in this case the wide variety of network configurations, limited
> access, and time/experience constraints didn't really allow for much
> experimenting. Anaconda and the kickstart work reliably, and we have
> the most experience with that.
>
> I know this is asking a lot, but as I do not have the expertise to go
> down this road myself, is it possible to have a build of Anaconda
> that does not contain the graphical interface to keep the size down?
> I think this could save a lot of time / resources / e-waste in the
> server/sysadmin world.
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
Best Wishes