Re: Small rant: installer environment size

On Fri, 2022-12-09 at 20:33 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Friday, December 9, 2022, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2022-12-09 at 12:04 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Richard W. M. Jones:

> > > I think you need graphics to set up wifi.
> >
> > Yeah, this is an awkward chicken-and-egg problem. Even if we assume
> > you're on a wired network, kernel modules generally - AIUI - try to
> > load the firmware once, on initial module load, and if they can't find
> > it, just give up, right? So we still have an ordering problem: how can
> > we delay the loading of modules that need firmware until the network is
> > up for us to be able to access the firmware files?
> >
> > Maybe I'm missing something that would help there, but it seems
> > tricky...
> >
> > Looking at sizes, iwlwifi firmware alone is 75M(!) ath10k is 6.8M,
> > ath11k is 12M, ath6k is 812K, so that's nearly another 20M. brcm/ is
> > another 6.4M and I *think* that's all wifi. There's a few other minor
> > ones, but that's a little over 100M of just wifi, with Intel by a huge
> > margin the worst offender.
> >
> > Does anyone know anyone we can talk to at Intel about this? It's pretty
> > obnoxious.
> >
> > In terms of what the other big space takers are in general:
> >
> > * amdgpu/ (AMD video cards) is ~20M
> > * intel/ (mainly Intel bluetooth) is ~15M [0]
> > * qed/ (some very high-end QLogic network cards) is ~10M [0]
> > * i915/ (Intel video firmware) is 8.4M
> > * mediatek/ is 7.7M [1]
> > * qcom/ is 7.3M
> >
> > Then it trails off from there. Just the wifi plus those 6 things are
> > around 170M, so the large majority of all the space taken.
> >
> > [0] No, we can't lose this - people install with Bluetooth
> > mice/keyboards
> > [1] For a quick win right now possibly we could assume nobody's going
> > to use one of those as the interface for a Fedora install and drop
> > that, not sure if it's a safe assumption
>

> It's not given that AMD wifi is rebranded mediatek, meaning it will drop
> wifi for lots of newer AMD laptops.

Sorry, I messed up my numbering there. That note was meant for the qed/
directory, not mediatek/ .

I've been working on this this morning. I'm pretty sure we can just
drop every file but one in qed/ - it contains a lot of old versions
that we don't need to care about any more. We can lose some stuff from
mediatek/ - not any of the wifi stuff, but there's some firmware in
there for ARM SoCs we do not even build the drivers for. I found a few
other little cleanups, too.

I *think* we can fairly safely drop about 31M of iwlwifi firmwares from
linux-firmware, I'm testing a PR for that right now. We could
potentially drop even more in lorax (since we don't really need to
support booting the current installer with an older kernel - that's a
constraint on dropping things from the linux-firmware package too soon,
as it would be a bit mean to break things for people booting older
kernels on installed systems for some reason).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA