Re: Cannot install on the same device (iSCSI target) where LiveOS booted from

On Tue, Jun 02, 2020 at 12:48:18PM +0200, Radek Vykydal wrote:

> On 6/2/20 11:30 AM, Dick Marinus wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I've prepared an iSCSI target (32 GB) with a small (2GB) ext4 filesystem
> > containing LiveOS/squashfs.img, initrd.img and vmlinuz and configured
> > extlinux to make that partition bootable
> > (root=live:UUID=3aa6fe78-5418-4d86-ba80-bec7d5fff742 rd.live.image
> > netroot=iscsi rd.iscsi.firmware=1) and to boot Fedora-Workstation-Live.
> >
> > Then I'm using iPXE with iBFT configured to boot LiveOS from this
> > target, all fine.
> >
> > Now I'd like to install Fedora on the remainder of the same iSCSI target
> > (30GB), for some reason it isn't available as a installation target and
> > when I try to add the iSCSI target the following message is shown:
> >
> > Failed to call Login method on /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/Manager with
> > ('iqn...') arguments: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.Failed:
> > Login failed: initiator reported error (15 - session exists).
>
> Yes, I think the target has already been attached automatically by Anaconda
> because it found it in iBFT.
>
> > I guess Anaconda doesn't allow to install on the device where it booted
> > from, is there a way to workaround this?
>
> I think you are right, and I am afraid there is no such way, but I am not
> yet sure
>
> I fully understand your case.
>
> What is your expected state of the target? It seems to me like
>
> you'd need 2 iSCSI targets (one for live, second for installed system) to
>
> be able to boot both to live and installed system.
>
> Or do you want to overwrite the live?
>
> Attaching /tmp/syslog from installer environment could also help me to
> better understand your case.
>

> Radek

Hi Radek,

My intend is to install Fedora on an iSCSI target using iSCSI only,
without using a physical attached DVD/USB stick.

As far as I've found out it's only possible to have one device in iBFT.
That's why I'm using a small filesystem for LiveOS on the same iSCSI target
so that the remainder of the iSCSI target (30GB) can be used for installing
Fedora.

When Fedora is installed the small partition used for live could be
removed (or re-used for reinstalling Fedora).

I didn't try to supply the Fedora-Workstation-Live (iso) from another
iscsi target, that might work! I'll try that and report back.

Thanks,
Dick Marinus