Re: Discussion: what would not blocking on btrfs look like?

On Mon, 2019-08-26 at 19:33 +0200, Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 4:53 PM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 2:42 PM Justin Forbes <jmforbes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > From my standpoint, ext4 and xfs are the primary supported root
> > > filesystems. I don't think that anything else should be release
> > > blocking.
> >
> > If this is the case, we can explicitly list the supported file systems in
> > criteria. The list would need to be extended with at least vfat, which is
> > used for ESP, though.
> >
> > If we go this route, it would be nice to communicate this somehow to the
> > end user, directly in anaconda interface. Either by showing a warning when
> > a "not officially supported" filesystem is selected, or by hiding those
> > filesystems in dialogs when creating a new partition (with a documented
> > override).
> >

> Hmm, I don't see this as necessary. I think changing criterions on what
> file systems are blocking doesn't mean we need to hide things or add some
> ugly warnings. Anybody who uses advanced partitioning should know what is
> doing, we can just update criterions so not everything visible in advanced
> partitioning must work and is supported.

I mean, I don't see that there's necessarily an equivalence between
"knowing what you're doing" and "expecting it to be broken". That's the
reason I quite like the current criterion: it commits us to not just
throwing a bunch of hand grenades at the user in the installer. If
we're going to do that it should at least be communicated *somehow*
outside of just being in the release criteria.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey