Re: adding PowerNV as a new PPC machine type in the installer (rhbz#1303219)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 15:26:21 +0200
Vendula Poncova <vponcova@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 1:56 PM Dan Horák <dan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a request for not installing the PReP partition on PPC
> > system that don't really require it in bug 1303219 [1]. I've spend
> > some time working on it and I think I have the solution, see [2]
> > for details. Because the testing requires a bare-metal Power
> > machine I'm now thinking how to allow testing it with the community
> > in the least intrusive way. Right now my plan is to have the
> > anaconda PR merged and use an updates.img for the corresponding
> > blivet change. This way anaconda itself should work as before and
> > only when used with the updates.img it should change the behaviour.
> > What do you think?
> >

> Hello Dan,
> the changes for anaconda seem to be safe and reasonable, so I think we
> could merge them if you want to.
>
> As Jirka suggested, it is also possible to create one updates image
> with anaconda and blivet changes. I can help you with that.

finally I've managed to test both physical PowewNV hardware and a KVM
guest and the is no problem in the installer. KVM guest installation
works as before. The bare metal PowerNV one prints a error during the
"bootloader installation" phase, but succeeds anyway. The problem is in
grub due
"grub2-install: error: the chosen partition is not a PReP partition."
which will need fixing there by loosening that requirement.

I'm going to open PRs from my powernv branches in blivet and anaconda.

		Dan