Re: Customizing Anaconda

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Jerry Amundson <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 7:05 AM Danishka Navin <danishka@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 4:55 PM Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 21:00 +0530, Danishka Navin wrote:
Hi there,

I am working on a fedora remix.
I need to let user to add organization name/id during the user account creation.
Do you mean setting the gecos field for the user ?[0]

Some what this is I am expecting but I don't need it to keep in  /etc/passwd (save it in different file is good enough) as multiple users in the same system should have same id (centerid).

Then you shouldn't need to involve anaconda.

we should able to retrieve the given id during the installation if we remove all local users. Imagine a situation only root account exists. Best solution is to write that value to a different file such as /etc/centerid or /etc/service, etc

Currently this is not supported in the graphicala and text user interface, but can be done
via kickstart (which is basically a config file that can be used to configure an installation)[1].
A kickstart file can be loaded either from network or from local media during the installation.

Isn't it a static value if we use kickstart ?

Depends on your definition of "it"...

Can we prompt user to input a value during the installation using kickstart?

Anaconda will prompt for any required information that has not been provided already, but anaconda only *requires* what is needed to perform the install.

I also thinking about a silent installation (unattended).
It would be great if its possible to prompt via kickstart but I never heard such option.

Unattended install is kickstart's bread and butter.[2]

I was trying to build ISO using fedora 29 ISO and anaconda-ks.cfg from a installed system.

I have add new entry with label of F29 as follows in to isolinux/isolinux.cfg
But could not figure out what's wrong here. I was expecting anaconda to start after selecting give label "F29".

menu separator # insert an empty line
menu separator # insert an empty line

label F29
  menu label ^F29
  menu default
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=CDLABEL=Fedora-WS-Live-29-1-2 inst.ks=cdrom:/f29.cfg

label linux
  menu label ^Start Fedora-Workstation-Live 29
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img root=live:CDLABEL=Fedora-WS-Live-29-1-2 rd.live.image quiet

label check
  menu label Test this ^media & start Fedora-Workstation-Live 29
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img root=live:CDLABEL=Fedora-WS-Live-29-1-2 rd.live.image rd.live.check quiet

It sounds like you would be better off putting these customisation(s) into the %post script  of the kickstart file.
You might have the grub menu contain a list of the hundreds of servers, the human installer chooses one and that determines the kickstart file, and thus the custom parts.
Or, depending on what you know about, hardware, on-site networking, etc. the %post script might be made smart in a what-machine-am-I kind of way, then have it do the custom parts automagically...
Or, some other creative way to utilize grub2, kickstart, and so on.

jerry

If what you need is really setting the gecos field manually in the user interface during the installation,
it looks like we could add it to the "Advanced" dialog on the user configuration screen.

this would be great if if you can enable it.
Is there any guide or examples on such additional changes for anaconda?

Regards,
--
Danishka Navin
Best Wishes