Re: Historic and current issues with filesystem tools?

On 10/2/17 4:58 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2017, Jan Tulak wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for historic and current issues Anaconda had with
>> filesystem tools which don't have a nice API. For example, some tool
>
> reading through all of the Bugzilla entries for the
> filesystems of interest, and for Anaconda comes to mind

The vast, vast majority of Bugzilla entries for filesystems have
nothing at all to do with Anaconda... and sometimes bugs encountered
by Anaconda are filed against the problematic tool, i.e. e2fsprogs.

Most of what I'm familiar with involve things like:

* We want to shrink.  How much can we shrink?  (can we shrink at all?)
* We did a shrink, but the filesystem got corrupted (ok not api related)
* We need to know if we have to fsck this fs before we $DO_SOMETHING with it
* We /did/ have to fsck this filesystem and now we have no indication of progress

You could try searching all (open & closed) Anaconda bugs for keywords like
"fsck" and "mkfs" and "repair" and "resize" in the comments, perhaps.

The collective knowledge from Anaconda developers may be just as useful...

Or, honestly, go look at the Anaconda code itself, and see where it shells
out and parses some utility or other, to see what it's actually using today (vs.
what it wishes it could use in the future ...)  :)

-Eric