Re: Anaconda uses too many addresses

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 03:32:34PM -0800, CLOSE Dave wrote:
> The environment here is Fedora 23. One machine acts as DHCP server for
> the others (normal, I know). A small portion of each subnet is reserved
> for dynamic assignment, devices without reserved addresses. Lately, when
> I run PXE on a new machine, I find that three or more of those addresses
> are reserved for Anaconda! Even though all the requests originate from
> the same MAC address, the DHCP server gives each request a unique
> response. As the address leases take time to expire, I quickly run out
> of available addresses. Much more quickly than I should.
>
> I don't recall this happening when doing the same operations on a Fedora
> 20 base, both DHCP server and PXE installations.
>
> I realize this may be a DHCP issue. But to cover all bases, I wonder if
> there is anything Anaconda is doing that could exacerbate this problem.

Do the systems have multiple nics connected to the same network? Does
the kickstart activate more than one? Unless there are multiple network
entries in the kickstart it should only use 1 nic.

It's pretty hard to tell without logs though. Grab them from /tmp/*log
after an installation has finished and attach them to a bug (as
individual text/plain attachments) at https://bugzilla.redhat.com