Re: FESCO request to revert password confirmation change in F22

Hi Adam

Thank you for your comments. Here are mine.

In large shops (1500+ employees), a Linux-network techie is given the task of installing and testing a server. He sets it up, he insures it is up to date, and when he has completed his Q/A, he turns the system over to operations or chief System Administrator. Operations will immediately change passwords, and begin the "PiP"  Placing into Production.

Before Fedora21, I would insist on the techie using a very simple password and follow up, post reboot with a stronger one. And again, another PW change for Pi
P. Passwords are changed with each handover.

I was against the new enforcement .I had some experience with anaconda failing me when I chose the French keyboard layout for the installation. The password letters I chose using my French selection, did not exist on the US layout. On reboot, I could not get into root. Lots of lost time to work around. That alone is justification for a kiss approach.

If "ABC123abc$$$ works anaconda, we can all just use it or similar one that meets the rules. Rest assured, every first install or test install of a new Fedora or Centos will have root set with that fixed value, and a new password presented on first reboot.

Regards

 Leslie
grandfather Leslie, 55 yrs in IT.