Re: Announcing the existance of a separate python-bytesize package to handle the Size functionality of blivet.

From: Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux Installer <anaconda-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: Announcing the existance of a separate python-bytesize package to handle the Size functionality of blivet.

On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 10:31 -0500, Anne Mulhern wrote:

> > > But the advantage is that it can be used outside of blivet.
> > > There is nothing about it which is really blivet specific,
> > > and I think that it should be made possible to use w/out
> > > requiring blivet.
> > A subpackage built from the blivet sources doesn't have to depend
> > on blivet at all. And it can even have a totally unrelated name.
> >

> The idea of a sub-package is alluring...because this package
> maintainer process is so miserable right now.
>
> But I think that bytesize can be viewed as entirely distinct
> from blivet, and it doesn't seem to be the purpose of subpackages to
> contain potentially completely independent and far more general
> packages (based on what the old Maximum RPM book has to say).

If you use setuptools appropriately, the whole packaging thing isn't
really that bad. It only took me an hour or two to set up the packages
for python-wikitcms (still waiting on Fedora review, though). setup.py:

https://www.happyassassin.net/cgit/wikitcms/tree/setup.py

and the RPM spec looks like this:

------------------

%global srcname wikitcms

Name:          python-wikitcms
Version:        1.10.2
Release:        1%{?dist}

Group:          System Environment/Libraries
License:        GPLv3+
Source0:        https://www.happyassassin.net/wikitcms/releases/%{srcname}-%{version}.tar.xz
BuildArch:      noarch

BuildRequires:  python2-devel
BuildRequires:  python-setuptools
Requires:      python-mwclient >= 0.7
Requires:      fedfind >= 1.0.5

%description
Wikitcms is a library for interacting with Fedora's wiki-based 'test management'
system and creating the pages for various types of test event.

%prep
%setup -q -n %{srcname}-%{version}

%build
%{__python2} setup.py build

%install
rm -rf %{buildroot}
%{__python2} setup.py install --skip-build --root %{buildroot}

%files
%doc README.md COPYING
%{python2_sitelib}/%{srcname}*

%changelog
(changes)

---------------

building for both Py2 and Py3 requires a bit more work, but not really
a lot. You can build source tarballs with sdist - python ./setup.py
sdist --formats=tar . I wrote a trivial little 'release.sh' for my
things which bumps the version, does a git tag, pushes it, builds a
tarball, xz'es it, and scps it to the release server. Let me know if
you need a reviewer for the package, I'd be happy to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not a sponsor, though, if you need sponsoring.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey